2937 Veneman Ave.
Modesto, California 95356
California-Nevada Annual Conference Session 2020
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions shall include the following:
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions may be brought before the session by councils, boards, commissions, committees, or agencies of the annual conference; by a local church, through action of its administrative board, charge conference, or church conference; or by individual lay members of local churches within the annual conference or clergy members of the annual conference, directly to the conference secretary. Items submitted by agencies and local churches shall include the number of members of that body, the number present, the number voting for, the number voting against, and the date that the action was taken.
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions shall be submitted without “whereas” clauses but may include an explanatory statement which shall not be subject to action by the session.
Recommendations, resolutions or petitions received will be acknowledged by the conference secretary. Those not conforming to the appropriate format will be returned to the sender for reformatting.
- Contact person submitting the recommendation, resolution or petition
- Title of the recommendation, resolution or petition
- Name of the submitting group (or individual, if not submitted by a group)
- Number of members of the submitting group (where applicable)
- Number of members present when voting
- Number of members voting for and against adoption of the recommendation, resolution or petition
- Date the recommendation, resolution or petition was adopted by the submitting group/individual
- Fiscal impact anticipated if the recommendation, resolution or petition is adopted
- Preference for consideration following Parliamentary Procedure or Petitionary Procedure
- (Please review standing rules Division I. C. 5. and 6. on pages 324-325 of the 2019 Journal.)
- Complete text of the recommendation, resolution or petition
- Explanatory (background) statement(s) in support of the recommendation, resolution or petition
Resolutions typically ask the conference to make a statement or say something, such as commend a public official for action or express condolences to a family or community following a loss.
Petitions invite conference members who favor a given action or statement to express their support by signing a document.
(Petitions to the General Conference are efforts to amend a specific paragraph of The Book of Discipline, and may be submitted to the annual conference for its support. If approved by the annual conference, they are submitted by the conference secretary to the Petitions Secretary of the General Conference in the year prior to the quadrennial or special General Conference.)
In order to be considered at the 2020 Annual Conference Session, recommendations, resolutions and petitions which do not pertain to matters related to the 2020 General Conference must be received by the conference secretary by April 1, 2020 – the deadline established by the Commission on the Annual Conference Session. Recommendations, resolutions, and petitions which arise from decisions taken by and/or matters related to the 2020 General Conference (meeting May 5-15) must be received by the conference secretary by June 1, 2020. (Items resulting from situations whose late development prevented their submission prior to these deadlines may be considered by the session under the rules found in Division I. F. on page 329 of the 2019 Journal.)
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions are to be submitted to the conference secretary using the online form found at https://calnev-reg.brtapp.com/RRPForm.
If you have questions, please contact the conference secretary by email at Mark.Wharff@cnumc.org or by text/voice at 209-614-3802.