2937 Veneman Ave. Suite B150
Modesto, California 95356
Gathering of the Orders via Zoom
Let us share together, as we explore “a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance”, Ecclesiastes 3:4. The theme will be lifted up through Ted style talks, break out rooms, worship, and communion.
Speakers and program confirmed so far:
- Bishop Carcaño will greet and share with us.
- “a time to weep. . .” as we continue to ponder how there is a time to every purpose under heaven. Rev. Mantu Joshi (San Ramon Valley UMC) will lead us in a collective time to grapple with the unique pains and burdens of being a pastoral leader at this time. There will be time to lean on other leaders who “get it” in zoom small groups and to have conversations that can only happen as we gather together for mutual care and healing.
- A Time to Laugh: Mary Maaga who writes about her part: Three United Methodist Bishops walk into a bar..... ooops, that might be the beginning of the end of my career, not the beginning of a joke! Hope that made you laugh. If it did, then your blood pressure elevated, your heart rate increased, and one of the oldest parts of your brain lit up. You also likely feel better.
- All humans laugh. Laughter signals connection and safety and, along with weeping, cuts through language and cultural barriers. Laughter is something that bubbles up naturally when humans come together -- and it is something that we are doing less of since the pandemic. During this session with Mary Maaga, you will laugh (likely as much at her as with her) -- it's time.
- A Time to Mourn: Pastors grieving with their congregations with Jon Visitacion.
In this season of Covid, our time to mourn has been blurred by a multitude of compounded losses suffered by our congregations and in our personal lives. Jon will share with us a bit about the work he does with those who are grieving while dealing with his own grief and loss as a chaplain, using the works from Anderson & Mitchell, Kubler-Ross, and Van Duivendjk. Afterwards, we will spend a bit of time breaking out in smaller groups and talk about how to help our congregations and ministries mourn our losses as we move into 2021.
- A time to Dance: Bishop Carcaño and Ella Garza-Luna will lead us in a closing communion service.
- The Blooper Reel: Share your video clips for our Conference Blooper Reel!
And just like that, we all became televangelists! We want your recorded worship service video goofs, oops, and blunders for the Cal-Nev Conference Blooper Reel which will premiere at the Gathering of the Orders in January! Please submit video clips that are 15 seconds or less and include clergy or lay people from your church. Ecclesiastes tells us that there is a time for every purpose under Heaven. Now is the time for us to gather, to laugh, and to celebrate that our God is bigger than our buildings, bigger than digital obstacles, and bigger than we are! Click the link below for more information and to submit your bloopers. https://bit.ly/gatheringbloopers
The deadline for registration is January 20, 2021. There is no registration fee.